Sunday, December 5, 2010

Call of Duty: Black Ops


Andrew Taverrite
Due 7 December 2010

The topic I’ve chosen to write about is the facade of a store I saw on the evening that a new video game came out. As the picture I took suggests, this set up was for the release of Call of Duty: Black Ops. While not a huge fan myself, there were hundreds of people, mostly 15-25 year old males, waiting outside.
This release was popular enough to earn a full store release party on the Champs Elysees during the holiday season- I think this alone is surprising. Even more surprising was that most of the scene in front of the store- which included an MC, costumed and heel-clad models, and music you could hear from streets away, was mostly in English. The characters in this game are American during the Cold War- CIA, not French. It was interesting to me that even though the French want to preserve their own culture so much, many value games like this with a very distinctive air of Americanism highly.
I suppose that none of this is all to out of the ordinary- I think what caught my eye was how American the whole thing felt. From the game to the people in attendance, I think it became a bit more clear to me how blurred international lines have become in regards to entertainment and hobbies.

No comments:

Post a Comment